Monday, July 7, 2008

I learned some things today...

I learned that pedestrians are supposed to walk against traffic and bikes are supposed to ride with traffic. I probably learned that before, but I forgot. So it still counts.

I learned that my husband loves me. OK that one's not new knowledge - I know he loves me. But tonight he did something I knew he didn't enjoy because he knew I enjoyed it and because I asked him. So the lesson is in the small sacrifices of love, not really the love itself.

I learned that Christian radio has more hypocrisy in one sentence from a recorded sermon than...well I don't know. But it was very hypocritical. This guy was preaching on Revelations and helping us 'lay' people sort through the Bible's depiction of the end times - He's talking about the antichrist and how he (the antichrist) will have the first "dip" in the lake of fire. And then this Christian preacher laughed...not a nice laugh, either. He laughed and said "I just love that." And continued on about how much he loved that "those people" will be put to death by swords and such. Now that really bothers me - I guess I am a softie at heart anyway, but these are people we're talking about, right? The Bible says non-believers will know us by our love - that doesn't sound like love to me. It seems to me that a pastor, especially a pastor, would have more of a loving heart. I don't know - the whole thing just struck me the wrong way - just like religion strikes so many people the wrong way.

I prefer the prayer I heard on the way to work this morning - "Lord, let the things that break Your heart be the things that break my heart." Yeah, and that was on the same radio station - how ironic. How many times do I start my day with good intentions to love everyone and end up critical and judgmental by the end of the day? There's another lesson for me to learn.

No comments: