Sunday, May 8, 2011

Reflections on Mother's Day - 1996 vs 2008

I have been loved today. Actually, I'm pretty spoiled and feel loved almost every day, but today is the official "show your mama some love" day, and my family rocked it. :) I've had some time to reminisce about the two moments in my life when I found out I was going to be a mommy.

1996:
I sat in a doctor's office alone, listening to the doctor & his nurse argue in the next room about which one of them had to come in and tell me I was pregnant. I was supposed to be getting my pre-college physical - expecting a clean bill of health, but got so much more. I cried. My mom cried. Everyone cried. I wasn't sure I could be a good mommy - but how I loved that baby.

2008:
We had only been married for 6 months before the "pink plus sign" showed itself. I showed it to Rick, watched him do a victory dance around our bedroom, and then we cried. My mom cried again. Some of Rick's family cried too. I still doubted my mommy skills - but how I loved that baby.

Two very different situations that led to two of the biggest blessings of my life. I absolutely love being a mom. I was born to do this. I'm not perfect at it, and I never will be. And that is okay.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

You are a fabulous mama-one of the best I know! I so admire you and the grace with which you meet all of life's challenges. So glad to call you my friend! And can't wait for the next "mama" moment!