Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Word for 2011

Tap tap tap - is this thing on? Tomorrow will be 1 year from my last blog entry, if you can even count a cute baby video as an entry. I guess I don't often have much to say that can't fit in a Facebook status!

I'm not an every day listener of K-Love radio, mostly because they play the same 20 songs for months and months. But I do listen once in a while, and managed to hear about their "one-word" campaign. I think the goal is to pick a word that will be your theme for the upcoming year. Supposed to be similar to a New Year's resolution - which, if you listen to the latest statistics, most of us have already broken by now anyway.

So the one word thing has been in the back of my mind as 2011 has begun. I have seen a lot already this year in the lives of people I know & love deeply: serious injuries, car accidents, divorces, unemployment, cancer. And the word that comes to mind is - relentless. That is 2011's word to me.

"Relentless: unyieldingly severe, strict, harsh"

Well, 2011, I have a word for you, too. And it is this: mercy. For every relentless thing you bring to the table, I will match it with mercy.

"Mercy:
kindly forbearance shown toward an offender, compassion, benevolence"

  • When I see an email from my boss with a time stamp of 10pm, I will stop and say kind words to her the next day because I know that she stays late because she does not want to go home to the house her husband has moved out of.
  • When I read the blog of a 20-something woman who has lost her husband in Iraq, I will do more than just tear up. I will send her an encouraging note, even if I cannot relate whatsoever to her situation.
  • When a conversation seems to run a little long, I will actively listen, because sometimes people are lonely and just need to talk. I've even been that lonely person before.
  • When a friend just bursts into tears, I will hug and not be the first to let go. I will not offer "words of wisdom" when all that is asked is my presence.
  • When a coworker calls in "sick" on the busiest day of the month at work, I will work harder to lighten her workload for her return.
  • When I hear teenage snarkiness coming from my firstborn, I will be slower to respond. How can I forget how dramatic those years can be!
  • When someone tells me of a family in need and I don't know what to do, I will pray. I will not always know a way to show mercy, but I will always ask for it.

Mercy - it's more than just being nice. What's your word to 2011?

1 comment:

Tori said...

Wow, Eileen! That was powerful. You have so much wisdom, and I am so proud to be your friend. You inspire me to be a better person. I think my word for 2011 is Focus. I'm focusing on the big picture of what's really important: my health, my family, my faith. I've realized that the little things can really eat up your time and don't matter so much in the end. When I focus on what really matters, my days fill with productivity and joy. Happy New Year!